For each of this year’s Atlas EPs (6 total!), we are making a limited edition merch item!! Behold the brand-new, ultra limited edition shirt for the EP “Darkness,” which features full-color artwork from this latest Atlas EP! Hope you like it!
(Pssst… If you’re a Passport Plus member, you’ll get an exclusive discount for each of these limited edition Atlas items! Hooray! Speaking of, keep an eye on your email – You’ll find a 20% off coupon as a Passport Plus Perk super soon!)
This morning, the incredible (and now a household name) Kid President posted a new video from his time visiting the Obama family at the White House! So fun! President Obama (aka Adult President) gives KP a tour around the Oval Office. It just so happens you might hear some familiar music on this lovely video too! Check it out and keep your ears peeled for my song “Next To Me“! (I think only eyes can be “peeled” but you get the idea…) 17+ Million plays later, it’s so exciting to see how far Kid President‘s wonderful and sweet message has traveled since his epic “Pep Talk” a couple months ago… So privileged to be a part of his adventure!
Since the release of the 1st Atlas EP, “Darkness,” I’ve been working away on the next chapter, “Light.” It’s coming together real nice so far! I wrote a blog post detailing the progress… Check it out here, if you’re interested in following along!
Thanks for reading, folks!
Much love, Ryan – Sleeping At Last
ps here’s another list of things i love lately:
1. Cry Baby Candy (these little doozies are my childhood in the form of sour candy)
2. GoPro “Hero3″ Camera (my amazing mom got me one as a gift recently… i love it. makes me want to adventure more)
3. Mophie “Helium” Juice Pack (a battery-case for iphone 5. it’s a life saver, in a 1st-world-problem kind of way…)
4. “Finding Dory” (just announced that pixar’s making a sequel to finding nemo! can. not. wait. “just keep swimming”)
i wanted to write a progress report for the upcoming atlas ep “light.” here goes!
“light” is taking its sweet ‘ol time. BUT thankfully, as of this last week, all of the songs are officially accounted for.
1 is completely finished. 4 are still in need of various jobs (i.e. lyrics, or more instrumentation)… but all are arranged, shaped and for the most part, written. which means the hardest parts are behind me! now it’s just a matter of putting some finishing touches all up ons.
(note: all of the following titles are temporary… however, some of ‘em might stick around)
“you are enough” is entirely complete. very excited with how this one turned out… it’s upbeat for me, and also happens to be one of my most personal songs.
“heirloom” is the first song i’ve ever written on mandolin. lyrics are all done, main tracks are nearly done and it’s just in need of a vocal recording and a bunch of layers. the fun stuff! this song is a little upbeat as well, but the lyrics lean a little heavy-hearted.
“light 3″ this one is in a great spot. most of the music is recorded and is sounding very full and finished! i have just a couple lines of lyrics to complete, but overall the vocal melody and concept are locked!
“light 4″ this one is also fairly far along… all of the main structures are in place. still a ways to go with lyrics, but the melody and lyric concept is locked. feeling like the work that is left on this song will come together quickly. it’s a friendly sort of song. secret: this song may, or may not reference all of my top 10 movies in 2012. (in the vein of what i did in “dear true love“)
& “light 5″ just arrived! i had been trying to write a very stripped down, simple and lyric-focused piece of music around a lyrical concept i’ve had for a while. the trick with those types of songs is that since there are so few parts and pieces, they really need to be rich and meaningful. each moment has to really count. after banging my head against the piano keys awhile, the music finally trickled out. this one is still in it’s infant stages, but i’m really excited about it and am currently finishing up lyrics.
artwork is coming together as the songs get finalized. geoff has already sent over about half of this round’s paintings and they are fantastic. SO excited!
i can’t wait to share these songs with you! it won’t be too long now… thank you for reading and for being a part of this atlas adventure!
Just a SUPER quick note to wish you and yours an absolutely beautiful and restful Easter Weekend!
I also wanted to let you know that we’re having a 24-hour Easter Sale in the Sleeping At Last store! 20% off ALL CLOTHING! Shirts, Onesies, you name it.
Browse the store here, and enter in the code EASTEREGG when you check out!
(Sale ends at 12:01 CST AM on April 1st!)
I’m working away on the next Atlas EP, “Light” – lots of news and info coming soon! Happy Easter, guys!
Much love, Ryan – Sleeping At Last
p.s. here’s a list of things i love right now:
1. orange tic tacs (i don’t like any other tic tac flavor… but orange is something else. i treat ‘em as if they are candy rather than mints. so. what.)
2. justin timberlake on SNL (some celebrities are just masters of their craft. jt is an all around master entertainer… his latest snl appearance is no exception. so. funny.)
3. gesundheit! (such a fun and beautifully drawn/designed puzzle game on iOS)
4. arrested development (seen it probably 3 times through. rewatched a few episodes recently to prep for the new season, and goodness.. i think it’s my favorite tv comedy show of all time. it’s flawless.)
I’m taking a moment away from writing songs for my upcoming EP “Light” to let you know about some cool stuff I’m making available with the rad folks at BandPage!
Using BandPage’s brand new “Experiences” storefront, I am offering a few rare and never-before available Sleeping At Last items for sale!
1. CUSTOM LYRIC ART made just for you by me! Partnering up with the wonderful folks at InstaThis, I’m offering a handful of custom-made pieces of art based around your favorite Sleeping At Last lyric. You choose and email us the lyric of your choosing, and using photography and typography, I’ll create a 1 of a kind piece of art just for you, printed with perfection onto 16″ x 16″ wood. (See examples here!)Details.
2. SKYPE HANGOUT for Charity! I’m offering a couple 1 hour Skype Hangouts where I can play you a few songs of your choosing, we can chat about songwriting or I can even teach you how to play some Sleeping At Last songs if you’d like! Let’s hang out! Proceeds go to help First Response Team of America, who devote their lives to helping people effected by natural disaster. Details.
Excited to make these things available! Thanks for reading and for taking a look! Well, I better get back to working on the next Atlas EP, “Light” which will be coming your way very soon!
Tons of love to you!!
Love, Ryan – Sleeping At Last
here’s a list of things i love right now…
1. the west wing (yeah, i’m crazy late to this party, but i sure do love this show!)
2. brand-new mickey mouse cartoons! (mickey’s back and these shorts look SO good!)
3. hawaii (having just returned from an incredible inspiration trip there for the upcoming eps, i can confirm that hawaii is still my favorite place in the universe)
4. InstaThis (make beautiful wall art from of your instagram photos!)
thought i’d take a moment to update you on the next “atlas” ep i’ve been working on! as you may already know, it is called “light.” it’s been coming together quite nicely so far! a lot of work ahead of me, but i can feel the whole of it start to take shape these last few days. always an exciting point of a project – when it actually, tangibly resembles the original idea you set out to create.
i don’t believe i’ve mentioned this before, but i am approaching the “darkness” ep and the “light” ep as a full-length of sorts. though each half will be released separately, i very much set out to make these concepts 2 “sides” of the same record, if you will. so as i wrote “darkness” and as i currently write “light” there is an intentionality to make them compliment and contrast one another, as real light and darkness do. so i’ve been having a lot of fun with that!
i’ve mentioned before, but i’ve got about 3 years of atlas themes already mapped out and in sequence. so atlas as a whole will also tell a large, overarching story. i’ve chosen to unveil each title/theme as the project moves forward. super excited for all that’s to come!
for “light,” i can’t say much, but i can tell you a couple song titles that will appear on the ep:
“You Are Enough” and “Heirloom”
since “light” is the theme, you can expect some songs to have a happier, more joyful and upbeat feeling. others interpret light more seriously, but hope is big thread throughout.
as far as tangible progress news… geoff benzing has already sent over the painting for “you are enough” and it’s so beautiful, as always! perfectly fits the heart of the song. he’s already hard at work on the art for “heirloom” too. musically, “you are enough” is entirely finished tracking and is now being mixed by the incredible john goodmanson in seattle. “heirloom” is a couple lines of lyrics away from being completed. the instruments and recording still have some ways to go before this one gets shipped out to mixing, but it’s on the fast track right now and coming along great! it’s the first song i’ve ever written on mandolin! excited about that. another song, which i have yet to name is in great shape as well. the recording and arrangement is pretty well developed, but i’m still working on lyrics and vocal melodies for that one. the remaining 2 songs still need to be pulled into the “light”… (see what i did there?…) i have a few ideas for those songs, but their turn to be worked on has not yet arrived.
all in all, i’d say i’m a little short of the half-way mark on “light” – but i cannot wait for you to hear it! ii have a feeling march is going to be an inspired month, so i’m looking forward to pouring all of that into this ep.
1. new phoenix single “entertainment” (having been a phoenix fan for the past decade, it’s always a good day when they put out new music. somehow this new song sounds so phoenix, but also has something quite new about it)
2. plants vs zombies (i’m a late bloomer. this app has been all the rage for a while… it’s free right now on itunes and i’m way into it)
3. oscars (have always been a sucker for the oscars. prediction? i think “argo” for best picture. but wouldn’t be surprised if “silver linings playbook” wins either… loved both.)
4. kindness (it’s not technically a “thing,” but gosh, i sure do love when kindness finds a way to the surface of this world of rough edges)
5. soulpancake (rainn wilson’s channel on youtube. it’s a beautiful and encouraging thing. it’s no surprise that it’s the internet home of kid president too! poke around on the site. i dare you to not be moved, inspired, not to smile, laugh or be brought to tears at least a little.)
Happy Valentine’s Day!!! I hope, however you spend today, that it is full of love and kindness!
Just a quick note here to let you know about a about a few things! Including ideas for the late, but thoughtful Valentine’s Day gift-giver…
YEARBOOK ON SALE! (iTUNES)
Pleased to tell you that as of right now, the entire 36-song Yearbook Collection is on sale for only $14.99 (reg. $27.99) on iTunes!! Sale ends in 1 week. Gift it to your special someone, or just someone you think is super cool… OR gift it to yourself for being super cool.
Excited to announce that the very 1st pressing of my 2009 album, “Storyboards” is now in stock and shipping!! Order yours here!
ATLAS – PASSPORT
One more last-minute gift idea- My brand-new project, “Atlas“! 28+ songs throughout 2013. Available in both digital and physical (CD) subscriptions! The first EP “Darkness” is available now! Learn more here.
Alright, enough of all of that merch talk. Hope your Valentine’s Day is wonderful!!! Can’t wait for you to hear my next EP “Light“!
So excited for you to finally hear it! This may be a bit silly, but I recommend listening to “Darkness” for the first time with the lights turned off and your eyes closed. I spent a great deal of time in that environment while writing and recording these songs, so that’s how I recommend listening to ‘em. But don’t worry, these songs will still play with the lights on!
JEREMY LARSON (played and arranged Strings and Brass for “Uneven Odds“) – Jeremy’s one of the most talented folks I know. He also happens to be one of my favorite people! Honored to work with Jeremy again and couldn’t be more thrilled with how beautifully his performances turned out! I should note that this is the very first song of mine featuring Brass instrumentation!
JASON TOTH (played Drums on “Overture“) – Jason’s been a friend of mine for well over a decade now and just over the last few years, I’ve had the privilege of touring and recording with him quite a bit! He’s one of the most tasteful and gifted drummers out there and I just love working with him.
DAN PERDUE(played Bass on “Uneven Odds“) – As this song was coming together, I knew right away that Dan’s bass playing would pull the whole song together (much like “the dude”‘s rug in the big lebowski). Always love working with Dan!
Like all things, Atlas begins with Darkness. The meanings behind the word “Darkness” are endless: beginnings, fear, blindness, the unknown, loss, even hope, and so much more. On this EP, I aimed to explore as much of Darkness as possible, both musically and lyrically. Though there are a lot of heavy and perhaps “dark” ideas being shared here (don’t worry, there’s hope in there too!), I truly had such a wonderful time writing these songs and telling these stories. I can’t even begin to tell you how honored I am to have the opportunity to share them all with you.
I so hope you enjoy these songs! I’m already hard at work on the next Atlas EP, “Light.”
PS… If you haven’t already been introduced, meet the awesome that is Mr. Kid President. he’s amazing!! You may have seen him recently, as his latest video “Pep Talk” is spreading across the land like wildfire (nearing 3 Million Views as I type this!)! It just so happens that the fine folks at the Kid White House have my song “Households” (itunes) as the backdrop to this wonderful video! Couldn’t be more honored and thrilled to be a part! It’s such a wonderful and uplifting video, as are all of the Kid Presidentvideos.. so if you haven’t seen it, check. it. out! Tell your friends too… It’s pretty much guaranteed that whomever watches this will immediately have a better day.
i welcome you to the awesome that is mr. kid president. he’s amazing!! you may have been introduced to him recently, as his latest video “pep talk” has spread across the land like wildfire (17 million views and counting!)! it’s such a wonderful and uplifting video, as are all of the kid president videos.. so if you haven’t seen it, check. it. out! and tell your friends too… it’s pretty much guaranteed that whomever watches KP’s videos, their day will immediately become brighter. so show your pals!
it just so happens that the fine folks at the kid-white house have my song “households” (itunes) as the backdrop to this wonderful video! couldn’t be more honored and thrilled to be a part!
thanks, kid president!!!
UPDATE: 4/4/13: This morning, the incredible (and now a household name) Kid President posted a video from his time visiting the Obama family at the real White House! So fun! President Obama (aka Adult President) gives KP a tour around the Oval Office. It just so happens you might hear some familiar music on this lovely video too! Check it out and keep your ears peeled! (I think only eyes can be “peeled” but you get the idea…) the song is “Next To Me” (iTunes)
much love, ryan – sleeping at last
p.s. here’s a “thank you” video team KP made for me… one of my favorite things ever.